Cycling Scotland have published the ‘Access to Bikes Schemes in Scotland’ research that was prepared by our social enterprise consultancy, Transform Consulting.
As reported in Cycling Scotland’s news release, the report finds:
- At least 200 organisations run access to bike schemes in Scotland including pool bike fleets, bike loans for events, public bike hire, cycle to work schemes and bike recycling schemes.
- The majority are small, local projects and many rely on year-to-year grant funding; getting secure, sustained funding is a challenge.
- Recent active travel funding from the Scottish Government has had a clear impact.
- Schemes help meet the objectives of the Active Travel Framework.
- Schemes attempt to reach a broad audience but there are some gaps.
- Additional data is needed on trip purpose, modal shift and bike recycling.