Evidence submitted to Parliament on Climate Change BillPublished 28 August 2018 by Transform Scotland
Transform Scotland have today responded to the call for written evidence on the Scottish Government’s Climate Change Bill. The evidence has been submitted to the Scottish Parliament’s Environment, Climate Change and Land Reform Committee ahead of today’s deadline for evidence.
In the evidence paper, Transform Scotland sets out three ‘Opportunities for Greater Ambition’ in the existing Scottish Government Climate Change Plan:
- Transport in the Climate Change Plan focused nearly exclusively on private car use
- The Climate Change Plan ignored the multiple co-benefits offered by sustainable transport
- That the transport ‘Policies’ were based on flawed and unrealistic assumptions regarding traffic growth.
Transform calls upon the Committee to call upon the Government to amend the Climate Change Plan to:
- Focus on traffic demand reduction.
- Achieve a modal shift away from private car use to walking, cycling and public transport.
- Incentivise bus use and reverse the decline in bus patronage.
- Achieve the Government’s target for 10% of journeys to be by bike by 2020.